Re: Some Alpine Purchasing Advice Wanted

From: W. Ray Gibbons (gibbons(at)northpole.med.uvm.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 16 1995 - 11:45:07 CDT

On Sat, 14 Oct 1995, Roland Dudley wrote:

> tell. It still has the original gold on black plates. What bothered
> him the most was bubbles in the otherwise nice paint in the lower sills
> just in front of the doors. There were also four spots on the trunk
> where holes for a luggage rack had been welded. The owner claims this
> often happens with this kind of repair, but we found that a little
> suspect. The only other thing we saw we didn't like was some bad
> scratches in the windshield from a wiper blade.
>
> The gauges had been rebuilt by the owner, but he had zeroed out the
> odometer before reinstalling the speedometer.
>
> Mechanically the car seemed solid. The interior also seemed pretty good
> and original looking. Some of the plastic pieces around the steering
> column were in bad shape, but he can live with that.

Roland,

Dunno about the spots on the trunk; it doesn't sound worrisome to me.
All it signifies is spots on the trunk that may need redoing.

The bubbles on the sill is a bit more serious. I'm not sure what you mean
by the sill in front of the door; the outer sill ends at the front of the
door (more accurately, it becomes hidden by the lower fender). You should
see a vertical seam under each end of the door; if those are not visible,
I would suspect filler.

If you mean that there are bubbles on the lower fender, it is par for the
course. The splash shield is separated from the outer fender by
caulking, which dries up. This allows dirt and water to get to the lower
fender and into the rocker panels. My 67 had rusty outer rockers after 5
years. I am told that rusty outer rockers signifies rusty inners.
However, the car I just bought had rusty outer rockers, yet when I jacked
up each front wheel in turn I could not detect any change of the door
gaps. The car is pretty stiff, thanks to the x-member below the floor.

Still, check the rockers, and use that as a negotiating point if nothing
else. When it does have to be fixed, it won't be cheap.

Ray

   Ray Gibbons Dept. of Molecular Physiology & Biophysics
                gibbons(at)northpole.med.uvm.edu (802) 656-8910