Re: What is a beat alpine worth ?

W. R. Gibbons (gibbons(at)northpole.med.uvm.edu)
Wed, 19 Jun 1996 09:44:29 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 18 Jun 1996, John Wiseman wrote:

> Hello all
>
> A friend and I found an alpine in an old lady's yard and went to take
> a look at it. I had an alpine long ago when I was really a kid :-)
> and might be interested in a "project".
>
> This alpine has been sitting outside for about 3-5 years ( under a tarp
> )
> but still might be restorable. It is a later model ( no fins ) with
> a 1725 engine with a weber fitted to it. The body is really pretty
> good, at least on the outside. I do not know if it will
> roll ( it was really wet around it i.e. we are in ohio ) yet but
> I was unable to get the brake or clutch caps off to see if any fluid
> remained in the systems. The engine has the distributor removed but we
> found it in the trunk ( as well as the original carb).
>
> Tires still have air in them but the interior is pretty tatty but not
> totally gone.
>
> Does this car sound like it is worth considering for a project ? What
> would you guys ( and gals ) think this car might be worth. The lady
> said her son would probably sell it in a minute.
>
> Are parts for restoration of this magnitude available ?
>
> Any information would be helpful.
>
> Thanks
> John Wiseman
> mailto:wiseman(at)titan.com

If it has been sitting in a wet spot with a tarp over it for 3 years, chances are pretty good there is severe rust. However, it is worth rescuing if only because it sounds as if there might be very worthwhile parts on it. I have, for example, been trying to locate series V seats for my car.

If it were near me, I would probably give $200 to $300 for it if it is fairly complete. In fact, I have just offered to buy a Series V parts car, sight unseen, for $250.

Ray Gibbons Dept. of Molecular Physiology & Biophysics Univ. of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, VT gibbons(at)northpole.med.uvm.edu (802) 656-8910