Re: Series V - V6

From: Jim Cantrell (jimc(at)sysdiv.sdl.USU.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 27 1996 - 11:29:34 CDT

Chris wrote:

> I never thought I would own one. I am a purist in the strictest since.
> But last night, I was rummaging through the classified ads and saw a
> Sunbeam Alpine for $500. After talking to the guy for a few minutes,
> he told me that the original engine had been taken out and a Capri V6
> had been dropped in. The car has been hit in the right front, but runs
> well... I bought it!

Congrats ! I also own a 2.8L V6 series V. This has to be one of the
best cars that I have ever owned. If the guy didn't butcher the car
and did a professional job, it should be more reliable, handle
better, and sound better than the origonal (sorry guys ! I'm not a
purist when it comes to the Alpine).

> What can you tell me about the Capri?

The Capri 2.8 L (or 2.6 L for early models) is the same motor that
has been used by ford through approximately 1992. It is a very
reliable motor with modest performance. The weak points are: noisy
lifters (solid - sounds like an Alpine 1725) heads crack if severly
overheated, and late models tend to have pinging problems. The
motors are very rugged however.

Kind Regards,

Jim Cantrell