Re: Battery Charger

From: Frank Marrone (marrone(at)wco.com)
Date: Wed Apr 02 1997 - 22:04:29 CST

Tony,

The 1 1/2 amp rate is a bit harsh depending on what you consider
semi-permanent. Lead acid batteries should be float charged to increase
shelf life. A common strategy for charging a lead acid battery is constant
current to a set voltage whereupon the mode transitions to constant voltage
(float charge). The float voltage is temperature compensated, ~13.5 "hot"
to almost 15V "cold". You can definitely boil the electrolyte out of a
battery under constant current only charging.

>Morning folks, not looking for parts just advice , so don't flame me!!
>I just had to replace the Alpine battery, because the car sits around
>too much in the winter and the battery runs down. I was planning
>to buy one of those 1 1/2amp chargers that switch on and off based on
>battery voltage drop and attach it to the car. However, when I talked to
>the battery shop they discouraged me by talking about battery venting
>and corrosion etc. telling me I should remove the battery from the car.
>Well, he doesn't have an early series Sunbeam, so he doesn't know what a
>pain in the back that can be!
>So, you guys in the frozen east, what are you doing about it? - does
>anyone have any experience with this type of charger and do I have to
>disconnect the battery terminals everytime or will the car's electrical
>components withstand 1 1/2 amp charge on a semi-permanent basis.
>All comments (not parts) graciously received!
>
>Tony Leeming
>Series II Alpine ( new battery)

Frank Marrone MK I Tiger B9471116
marrone(at)wco.com 1966 LTD