Re: My "New Car"

From: Bob Douglas (b-douglas(at)ti.com)
Date: Thu Apr 10 1997 - 20:25:56 CDT

> From: "Jarrid Gross (Yorba Linda, CA)" <GROSS(at)unit.com>, on 4/10/97 8:23 AM:
> Tom writes,
> > I say get it running and fix it as you go along. It is better to drive
> > a running restoration than to look at a "done right" restoration for 10
> > years like me. Tom
>
> I agree 150%.

Good advice, but I'll admit to being a bit surprised at how lop sided the
inputs are in favor of rolling restorations. However, keeping a car drivable
during a major restoration has its down sides too. Another approach is be to
partition the work so that the periods that the car is undrivable are
relatively short (months vs years?).

I'm 17 months into what I planned to be a 24 month project. In hindsight, it
probably would have been more enjoyable to break it into several 4 to 8 month
installments along the lines of:

 Engine Compartment - Radiator refurb, Horns and miscellaneous electrical,
   Master and Clutch cylinder rebuild/replace, hoses belts, new grommets,
detail, (engine/clutch/tranny aren't a problem...yet)

 Back End: Gas tank refurb, sender unit repair, new brake cylinders, shoes,
springs, and hoses, leaf springs lube and bushings, rearend seal and gasket
replacement, straps, detail, .....

 Front End: Ball joints, tie rods and other steering/suspension, fender
caulking, repack bearings and new seals, brake caliper refurb, pads, and
hoses, detail....

 Dash: Refinish, repair guages & wiring, new defroster ducts and heater
cables/valve, new glovebox, bulbs, refurb steering wheel .....

 Body, Top, & Interior

Yeah right - what really happens is that I hear the siren song called "while
I'm at it", and pretty soon there are bits of Alpine all over the place.

Now where did I set those new ring gear bolts???

Regards, Bob Douglas