Re: "New" Series V - Day 5

From: tim vb-o'brien (vbob(at)primenet.com)
Date: Mon Apr 14 1997 - 14:47:53 CDT

Steve Van Ronk wrote:

> H'lo Folks,
>
> Starting into the "seeming like progress" stage today. After
> considering the brown fuzzy stuff (jute or juke) and the tar paper, and
> all the advice you people provided, I made the following decisions. Off
> with the brown fuzzy stuff. It is not especially nice and does not work
> any better than more modern carpet insulation. DO NOT replace the tar
> paper - it tends to trap moisture within the layers and increase rust
> potential rather than reduce it.
>
> What to do? I am using rubberized undercoater in spray cans as
> replacement for the tar paper. It is about $5.00 per can and available
> at any reasonable hardware store. That is important in a town of 6,000
> an hour and a half away from the nearest city. It sticks like paint to
> metal thus preventing moisture from getting to the Fe, and is rubbery
> enough to provide sound deadening. Over that, fiber carpet insulation
> such as is used for house floors and hot rods alike. DO NOT use foam
> insulation because it does not breathe and traps moisture.
>
> After figuring that all out and purchasing the stuffs, the days work
> consisted of masking everything for painting, and painting. The masking
> part is actually a lot more work than one may anticipate. Especially
> since I do not want a lot of painted wires under the dash, therefore
> they all needed to be bunched up and masked off. Same with unidentified
> doomafloggers and heater thingies. After masking, it is a toxic
> pleasure breathing all that paint fumes while watching things become
> uniform in color.
>
> One other unanticipated problem was the small grey Australian Shepard
> who simply could not figure out why I have been spending so much time
> going out to a car and still would not go for a ride.
>
> Tomorrow is second coat of paint and undercoater.
>
> Keep them cards and letters coming in folks!
>
> Later,
> Steve Van Ronk
> glblitnpwr(at)nidlink.com

Steve,
Did you think about the POR-15? You may recall I posted a note asking
about this product for my slightly oxidized floor boards. The response
so far is while a pain in the butt to use in humid conditions (not my
problem here in San Jose), it forms very solid protection against
further decay and a solid base to put your sound deadening on. Just a
thought and maybe too late.

You should be protecting yourself against fumes. I use to work in the
graphic arts and I'll tell you, it's not good for you. Not even short
term. Enough lecture.

Paint the shepard black and call it a labrador retriever.

* vbob SJ,CA *
* B395002095 *