Re: How to use an overdrive

From: William Lewis (wrlewis(at)ucdavis.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 24 1997 - 11:40:42 CDT

On Thu, 24 Apr 1997, John Souders wrote:

> I've seen more than one OD where the output shaft has a slight twist in
> it probably due to repeated engagement without using the clutch. If
> memory serves I believe on one you couldnt even remove the drive shaft
> off the splines due to the twist.

The overdrive gearbox that I bought for $125 has a slight twist to the
output shaft. The local transmission guys (who are quite knowledgeable
about british trannies) says the box is O.K. I always assumed that the
twist probably occurred when the overdive unit itself exploded. Has
anyone seen twists in the output shaft in units where the overdrive was
still servicable, or have they all been trashed? I am mounting a Volvo D
type overdrive and it fortunately still slides down onto the transmission
output shaft easily.

Bill Lewis
Series II (survivor)