Re: How to use an overdrive

From: John Souders (frodo4(at)ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Apr 24 1997 - 03:15:05 CDT

You wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I was just thinking about the day I spent driving my prospective
Series 3,=20
>and how the
>overdrive made cruising so comfortable, when my thoughts drifted to
the=20
>slight 'lurch'
>that accompanied the (dis)engagement of the overdrive. I wonder if I
was=20
>using the
>overdrive correctly? Should I back off the throttle as one does
when=20
>changing gears?
>Is there a different procedure for engaging and disengaging the OD? Is
all=20
>of this in the
>owner's manual, and I'm wasting bandwidth?
>
>For those that gave advice when I was looking at the car, I have
agreed to=20
>buy it but I can't pick it up for a while yet. Believe me, this is not
nice=20=

> - I want to play!
>
>Cheers,
>Paul.

It is far more civilized to engage and disengage the OD in the same way
as changing gear ie use the clutch. Although the OD will work fine
without using the clutch, it does put a strain on the mechanical parts.
I've seen more than one OD where the output shaft has a slight twist in
it probably due to repeated engagement without using the clutch. If
memory serves I believe on one you couldnt even remove the drive shaft
off the splines due to the twist.

John