RE: Engaging overdrive

From: Richard Atherton (Entex) (a-richat(at)MICROSOFT.com)
Date: Wed Apr 30 1997 - 01:20:01 CDT

        I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with the first paragraph of
your post.

        The overdrive unit is connected to the transmissions OUTPUT
shaft, not the input shaft. The pump you speak of has no relationship
to engine speed or transmission INPUT shaft speed. It is however
DIRECTLY related to the transmissions OUTPUT shaft speed. As we all
know, the output shaft is connected via the drive shaft to the rear end.
Therefor, it's the forward movement of the vehicle which operates this
pump. As long as the car is moving forward at an adequate speed, there
will be fluid pressure to engage the overdrive unit.

Rich