ALPINE IV - blocked back wheel

From: Philippe Miloda (phmiloda(at)mnl.sequel.net)
Date: Sun May 11 1997 - 20:01:46 CDT

Hi there,

I hope anybody can give me some good advice re:

I took off the wheels, greased the knobs and put them back. So far, so
good. The day after I drove around and stopped at an intersection. I was
starting to move again when after 10 meters the wheel on the back right
made a sound similar to a coffee mill (or like two gear-wheels not biting)
and the car did not move anymore, just this terrible sound. I tried to move
again, in vain.

After one or two minutes I tried once more, and it worked again. On the
shortest way I went back home. I noticed then that both the back wheels
move very hard, like the handbrake is on (which is not the case). The right
wheel actually seems to get stuck at a certain position. - I suspect either
the brakes or the differential.

I am not sure my taking off the wheels is connected with it - but one never
knows. - Did anybody of you ever hear of anything similar? - Any advice you
can give before I start to dismantle it next weekend?

Tks a lot! Philippe Miloda