Re: Zenith or Weber

From: DSand95510(at)aol.com
Date: Mon May 19 1997 - 11:05:48 CDT

In a message dated 97-05-19 10:53:51 EDT, perwo(at)lagopus.nordlys.no (Per.
Wollen) writes:

>I have a Series 1 LHD with a 1725 engine with Zenith carbs, which are
>worn out. I have been offered two (never been used) Zenith carbs,
>should I stick to them or should I go for a pair of Weber 40 DCOE`s.
>I have been thinking of getting hold of a Holbay head later.
>
>I have also been offered two Webers DCOE4s with a inlet manifold which
>has a ca. 10 degree tilt (from a Rapier?)
>Is it possible to modify this manifold?
>
>How much are a pair of new Zeniths worth? are they adequate for the
>1725 engine?
>
>Or should I rather buy everything from Holbay?

If you want to drive your Alpine in the immediate future, I'd buy the
Zenith's. A few people recently had a custom run of correct Weber manifolds
made here in the U.S., but who knows how long before more are made.

I've talked to a few people who retro-fitted Zeniths onto their Series V's
and felt they got better performance than with the Strombergs. Plus, if the
Zeniths are really "unused," you shouldn't have to worry about rebuilding
them for a long time.

If the Weber manifold was meant for the Arrow range, I don't believe it can
be modified to fit the Series Alpines. (I'd still pick up the Webers if the
price is reasonable.)

As for Holbay - who knows? Has anyone out there had any experience with the
reorganized post-bankruptcy company?

Dick Sanders
Seattle