Re: Anti-lock brakes

From: Andy Whiteford (A.G.Whiteford(at)gcal.ac.uk)
Date: Mon May 19 1997 - 05:11:30 CDT

The SAOC "Alpine Guide" has an article featuring a relatively simple
upgrade to front calipers. It uses more modern Girling calipers and their
(larger) pads from a Ford Cortina mk 4/5. I don't know the USA equivalent
Ford.
You need to change the unions on the brake pipe to a metric ones and use
metric front hoses, otherwise it's a straight-forward bolt on job. the
author claims that brake balance is greatly improved. I'm planning to do
this one day on my Ser 3 rebuild.

If I couldn't lock the brakes, I would also check for internal swelling in
all flexible brake lines, and maybe replace the fluid. Servos seem more
trouble than they're worth.

BTW, I can definitely recommend the "Alpine Guide"- lots of excellent
articles on all aspects of Alpine running and restoration, (even servos!).
It complements the WSM well.

Anyhoo, back to the welding :-(

A.G.Whiteford(at)gcal.ac.uk (Andy Whiteford)