Re: Finland+Ring gear bolts.

From: jarrid_gross(at)juno.com
Date: Sat May 17 1997 - 18:23:09 CDT

Lauri wrote,

>I have bolts of suitable length and normal hex head, but they are only
>8.8;
>Jarrid, I think you know if I can use these and torque them to 50 lb
>ft?
>Those bolts also have thread up to the hexagonal head - should there
>be a
>smooth area to take axial impacts, or should the tension (? sorry, I
>have
>no dictionary here) of the bolts eliminate all movements of the ring
>gear/crown wheel?

The spec to which you are referring (8.8) must be some metric
equivalent to the english/SAE hardness grade.

I don't know how to convert these specs (Tom Wiencek?).

I would recommend that you purchase some replacements from
Sunbeam Specialties here in California USA.

I know this will probably be brutally expensive, but its the only way
that I could recommend to be certain that the material is the right
hardness, has the correct dimensions ECT.

Did the old ones have a grade stamped on them?

I looked at some on my spare diff, and they all say 5.5 AUTO.

Hey Lauri,

Is it still light out at midnight in your neck of the woods?

Jarrid