Re: Tiger radiator in Alpine (was Overheating)

From: Jim Cantrell (jimc(at)sysdiv.SDL.usu.EDU)
Date: Wed May 21 1997 - 11:19:43 CDT

> Although the 3 core solution is probably the right one, I
> wonder if a Tiger radiator would fit in the Alpine and
> allow better cooling? Here in Austin, temps often get over
> 100 in August and September... I've heard of people using
> the Tiger radiator, but don't know if it had to be modified,
> or if it offered performance better than the 3-core modification.
> Has anybody tried it? Is it a bolt-in?

> > > I just spoke with the local radiator shop and he told me that he
> > >would have to make a 3 core radiator for the Alpine and would cost me
> > >about $200. Do you know of a ready made core that fits the Alpine?
> > >
> > >Bill Lewis

I had a three row core put in my Alpine radiator to cool the V6 and
it was an "off the shelf" unit. It sounds by the price he's quoting
you, this is a standard replacement unit (they come in all sizes and
shapes). I can't imagine building one from scratch !. BTW, the
three row core really does a good job on the Alpine with a V6. The
problem I found however, is that the grill area is extremely poor in
airflow. I placed internal air baffles in the lower grill area and
closed off the access holes to the left and right of the radiator.
This solved the "at speed " cooling problem and a good stout
aftermarket on-engine fan solved the low speed heating problems. I'm
"cool" now.

Kind Regards,

Jim Cantrell