RE: Overheating

From: Jarrid Gross (Yorba Linda, CA) (GROSS(at)unit.com)
Date: Wed May 21 1997 - 13:23:00 CDT

Daniel and other Hot alpiners,

> Forgive my ignorance - what is a "sucker fan" that was discussed
in
>yesterday's posting. I assume it is a fan that draws air away from the
>radiator rather than pushing air toward it, is that right?
> And Is the idea to mount this in front of (near the bumper) or
>behind (between the radiator and the driver) the radiator?
> What is the advantage of being able to turn the fan on and off -
>the stock fan goes all the time and apart from the noise, it seems like
>this would be desirable, cooling-wise.
>
> Thanks in advance for any clarifications...
>
> Dan "also living in 100 degree California heat" Levitin
>
> 1966 Series V Alpine

No ignorance discernable.

A "sucker fan" is one that pulls the air as opposed to pushing it.
Why?
Because these fans are typically more efficient at cooling the radiator
becuase the fan has a shroud that funnels nearly all of its air through
the radiator. "Pushers" tend not to get all the air through the
radiator.

Also the Pusher fan is easily seen from the front of the car, not
so with the sucker.

Its all a matter of what you want and need, but I have used both types
of
fans, and the sucker allways worked best. The only time I use a pusher
is when I dont have room in the engine bay.

Do NOT reverse the polarity to make a pusher a sucker or vice versa.

Mount the fan is such a way that the radiator does not take the load
of the fan. Many off the shelf mountig kits employ cables that attach
the fan to the radiator through the cores of the radiator. DONT use
this method, as the cores can be worn and leak by the rubbing ties,
not too mention that your pretty radiator fins will get all buggered up.
Make a neat bracket that mounts to the 4 radiator support bolt.
The extra effort will payoff tenfold.

The advantage to being able to turn on the fan is that when the
car is not moving and you plan on it staying that way, the thermo
switch can be overridden and the car will stay cool. Also in the
unlikely
event of a thermo switch failure, the system will still get you home.

Jarrids rule #31, wear suspenders and a belt, plus bring spares of each
in your pockets.

I would not wire the switch such that it can also turn off the fan, as
that
could allow those with forgetfull minds to be able roast weenies on the
hood of the car "Bonnet".

Jarrid Gross