Re: Water Leak

From: Andy Whiteford (A.G.Whiteford(at)gcal.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Oct 01 1997 - 10:02:48 CDT

Karl Gilchrist wrote

> Another possibility is the windshield to body seal....
>
>Nah Jon I'm afraid that the problem is the air vents. Under them is a
>tray which collects surpless water and drains it into the engine
>compartment. It appears that I have a DPO rust repair modification to
>this tray resulting in it draining into the passanger compartment
>instead. Its a rebuilt job which involves removal of most of that air
>vent panel-

... I followed this thread, and meant to reply earlier....

There are two well documented & separate but adjacent rust spots on Alpine
1. the bottom of the window frame on ser 3,4,5
(ser 1&2 are chrome over brass)-Mine has rotted out completely.

2. the scuttle panel in front of the windscreen.
the design of this changed to a double-skinned, more complex
and rust-prone design, at the same time as square cornered
doors/ boot/ bonnet etc & *footwell ventilation* was introduced
late ser 4 / start of ser 5. Repairs can be, as you say, complex.
(luckily this is one of the few sound points on my ser III)

Andy (why does my windscreen sway in the breeze, mama?) Whiteford.

p.s. I'm considering swapping to ser 2 windscreen & hardtop, both
rust-free brass / aluminium. trouble is I'll need serII doors or door glass???.
the early hardtop is a much nicer design, IMHO.