Re: overdrive

From: jarrid_gross(at)juno.com
Date: Fri Oct 03 1997 - 22:26:47 CDT

On Fri, 3 Oct 1997 19:21:17 -0700 (PDT) William Lewis
<wrlewis(at)ucdavis.edu> writes:
>Jarrid
> The pins for the planetary gears are toast on my exploded OD.
>Maybe the thing did run out of oil. As far as I know, the planetary
>and
>sun gears are not proprietary to the Sunbeam and should be available
>on
>other units. Have you checked with the local Volvo guys or local
>tranny
>shops to see if they have any parts lying around?
>
>Alpiners
> I keep wondering if I could rebuild this wrecked overdrive.
>They
>are rare enough that it would be nice to be able to do so. The
>planetary and sun gears are destroyed, but the gears on the
>annulus are fine. Theclutch surface on the annulus is out of round
>and would probably tear up a clutch, but I wonder if I could have a
> machine shop straighten it and maybe turn it a little to smooth it
>out. If I can, then I may be able toget the thing rebuilt. Has
>anybody had experience with ressurecting a unit this far gone?
>
>Bill Lewis
>Series II
>
>P.S. I am very worried about my car. Everything seems to be working
>very
>well in it. This usually means something horrible is about to happen.
>Something about the balance of nature in Britain.

Bill, surely the case and most of the internals could be resurrected
to a new OD, but the annulous could not possibly be good, having meshed
and transmitted power with gears that have fully died.

The annulous gear may look OK, but the teeth must be immaculate to
stand any chance of running a ne gearset.

Also, if the annulous cone is heat warped, its a lost cause anyhow.
Even if it could be machined, the gear must be just as warped.

All D type overdrives would have the pins that I need.
Perhaps its time to go see uncle Olaf and his stash of old
Volvo parts.

Jarrid