timing

From: siegfried (sdoerrer(at)ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sun Oct 05 1997 - 15:52:10 CDT

Took the SV to a local mechanic to "tune-up" and whatever it took to
pass NJ emissions test. Seemed like a honest chap - got the job done.
He mentioned that my timing was far to advanced - so he reset it,
synched the carbs, and adjsuted the valves.

Car did not run very well at higher rpms and acceleration as a result
(also was prone to overheat) I tried to check timing with strobe but
didn't really get anywhere so I got on the freeway, and reset every 1
mile until its felt right. Result: runs well at higher rpms, rougher
idle, no overheating.

I have no idea how far off the timing is but have the following
questions:

1) Is the No. 1 cylinder the one closest to firewall or closest to
radiator (for strobe).

2) My crankshaft pulley has only 1 marking: is that Odeg BTDC?

3) If true that my timing is too advanced, do I have to be worried
about premature wear&tear? Is the rough idle probably due to "valve
adjustment"

4) How many others time according to the book? and who else throws out
the book and adjust by feel? Is this an acceptible practice?

thanks,

SD