Re: timing

From: John Souders (frodo4(at)ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Oct 07 1997 - 00:36:35 CDT

You wrote:
>------ ----------

>I have no idea how far off the timing is but have the following
>questions:
>
>1) Is the No. 1 cylinder the one closest to firewall or closest to
>radiator (for strobe).

Nearest radiator.

>2) My crankshaft pulley has only 1 marking: is that Odeg BTDC?

UH?????

>3) If true that my timing is too advanced, do I have to be worried
>about premature wear&tear? Is the rough idle probably due to "valve
>adjustment"

In the very old days I remember reading in one of my shop manuals (for
a Morris I think), that they recommended doing the static timing to get
it close and then doing what you have done to get is better. There
should be no pinging at any RPM with the throttle full open. It really
has to be pretty far out to do any permanent damage.

I would guess that the combutionn characteristics of the stuff we use
for gasoline these days is different from the old stuff and therefore
the timing in the specs is not optimal anyway.

The rough idle may be the result of the tester having to weaken the
mixture to get it to pass. Does it 'pop' on the overrun? I've seen this
done before.

>4) How many others time according to the book? and who else throws out
>the book and adjust by feel? Is this an acceptible practice?

Actually I have to set mine by ear, but I tyhink thats because someone
has messed with the advance springs in the distributor, upsetting the
advance curve. If I set mine at idle, it is too advanced at high RPM.

John