reply to Jarrid

From: MR RICHARD T TRENK SR (GDWF22A(at)prodigy.com)
Date: Mon Oct 13 1997 - 14:15:13 CDT

Loved your story on how alternators make more amps then a DC gen can
(at low rpm) etc.
You are quite correct also, re the flywheel affect of the larger mass
rotor in the alt. This is so significant a change that I found we
could usually idle at least 50 rpm slower (sometimes 100 rpm) and
still retain a nice smooth 4 cyl idle mode.
Pondering this , I also wondered if the slightly higher voltage to
the coil might not also have helped this idle by providing just a bit
hotter spark. Then I threw that idea away because the coil is making
whats needed to jump the plug gap.....in either situation.

If these Zenith accel plungers are common leather like most other
brands using this type piston pump. I wonder if there is a chemical
which would be "fuel proof" and you could soak the plunger in it and
then enjoy nice lube action which would not be washed away by the
fuel?
No doubt something along this line is available somewhere.

Liked you advice to the digger who wants to put various parts into
his 1725 and add a SC. You ended up telling him to just put in the
bigger engine. I also think this is a really complex and danger
ridden project which would be OK in a pro mfr. labs. or shop properly
equipped for such exploratory type of mods. But hey! this is the
sort of stuff which makes the hobby interesting and a challenge.
Dick T