Fwd: SAOC USA Dues

From: OldeAlp(at)aol.com
Date: Fri Oct 17 1997 - 16:56:37 CDT

Well - I didn't get Tom's original post - maybe it is still in the queue at
AOL.

The Sunbeam Talbot Alpine Register (STAR) has had a US representative handle
that conversion problem for several years. It has always seemed like a fair
exchange rate - I suspect he has made a penny or two at times and given them
back at others.

Most US banks will happily issue International drafts - but at a price. My
friendly California bank just increased the fee for such conversion from $10
to $15, and the exchange rate is at least 5% over the published rate. That
is bad enough when you deal in large amounts such as buying a cache of parts,
but is an enormous surcharge for small stuff like SAOC dues.

My solution up to now has been to buy Travelers Cheques denominated in pounds
which can be bought in most large cities at no fee - but at the higher
exchange rate - and use them. Of course, they are available only in round
increments such as 10, 20, and 50 pound values. SAOC does give credit for
excess payment and so over the years you should come out even - or at least
close.

Yes, that is a hassle - it would be so nice to send a local check to someone
and have the matter resolved instead of running around playing the currency
exchange game.

"Ole" Olson