cleanliness is next to......impossible

From: Howard Altman (haltman(at)us.ibm.com)
Date: Wed Oct 22 1997 - 17:21:33 CDT

Hi all,
Well I finally have my 1493 enagine apart, foundt that the front main bearing
was shot. This is good news, I think. Now I'm ready to rebuild the engine, I
wanted to try to put the engine back together as clean as possible, repaint the
block and other such nonesense. Anyone have any experience with 1) a good
solvent that wont damage aluminum, 2) a source for the right color engin block
paint. And while I'm at it.....any tips on the rebuild? I just figured I'd
replace all the bearings (main and rod) while I was inside the engine, and then
replace all gaskets and rebuild the carbs before putting them back on. Any and
all help is appreciated.

Howard Altman
Series 1 B9003995 LRX