RE: cleanliness is next to......impossible

From: Jarrid Gross (Yorba Linda, CA) (GROSS(at)unit.com)
Date: Wed Oct 22 1997 - 17:22:00 CDT

Howard Altman wrote,

>Hi all,
>Well I finally have my 1493 enagine apart, foundt that the front main
bearing
>was shot. This is good news, I think. Now I'm ready to rebuild the
engine, I
>wanted to try to put the engine back together as clean as possible,
repaint the
>block and other such nonesense. Anyone have any experience with 1) a
good
>solvent that wont damage aluminum, 2) a source for the right color
engin block
>paint. And while I'm at it.....any tips on the rebuild? I just
figured I'd
>replace all the bearings (main and rod) while I was inside the engine,
and then
>replace all gaskets and rebuild the carbs before putting them back on.
Any and
>all help is appreciated.

Carburettor cleaner that contains tolulene or xylene works very well
to degrease parts, and wont harm aluminum.
It will however take the top layer of most paints off, so dont use
it in places that have paint you want to keep.

While your in there, puts some rings, thrust washers, new chain and
tensioner.
If your not going to turn the journals, make certain that they are not
egg shaped.

Oh, also put in new freeze plugs, and derust the inside of the block.

jarrid