Re: Sputtering

From: jarrid_gross(at)juno.com
Date: Thu Oct 23 1997 - 00:27:40 CDT

On Sat, 25 Oct 1997 19:02:19 -0700 Steve Robbins <stever(at)ebicom.net>
writes:

>Jarrid:
>
>You seem to be really knowledgeable so I pose this question. I have a
>stock Series V B395000767 LRX. Occationally, after a short trip to
>the Dairy Queen driveup for a Blizzard it happens. The car acts as if
>it has no power and is running on 1 or 2 cylinders. it sputters and
>coughs and chokes until I can get it up to speed. Then, most of the
>time it is fine. It appears to happen after a short run and a long
>time at idle. I have observed some threads about timing chain and
>distributer bushings causing similar problems. May I have the benefit
>of
>your opinion.
>
>Steve Robbins
>B395000767 LRX
>New Albany, MS

Steve,

I would not suspect the distributor nor its bushings.
When the points go out, you normally get no spark at all.
When the condensor goes ditto.
Sometimes the condensor goes intermittant, so here is
a minor posibility.

As for the bushes, they can limit performance by causing
an erratic spark, but normally this is a continuous thing, not
intermittant, and the amount of scatter in timing is only
a mild performance detriment. The same is true of the timing
chain.

I would look closer at carburettion.
If you have strombergs, suspect that the needle and seat
is in need of replacement.
Also, sometimes the needles stick on the side of the mains
and the venturi piston doesnt move well. temperature often
place a role here due to expansion of the cases.
Also, as the diaphragms age, they first turn hard, which
also makes the piston stick up.
If the pistons stick up, the idle will suffer as well as main running.

I recommend that you remove your air cleaners, and watch the
positions of the pistons. When the car does its thing, pull over,
pop the hood, and have a gander.
If the pistons dont return at idle, you have found the problem.

Jarrid Gross