Re: Bad motor

From: Jarrid Gross (Yorba Linda, CA) (GROSS(at)unit.com)
Date: Thu Oct 23 1997 - 16:57:00 CDT

I wrote,

>Cam and compression are easy ways to bump performance on a rebuild.

Ray Frazier wrote,

>Remembering that I would like to maintain driveability what would be
good
>specs for a cam regrind on my 1600 engine.?
>My pistons are currently .030 over does anyone know of a suitable
oversize,
>flat top piston that would bump up compression a little?

Flat tops will put your compression at well over 11/1 CR.

.040 over is the next step up.

A milled head CAN put you in the 9.6 to 9.9/1 range, which works
well with super unleaded fuel, and ocasional octane boost to
get to around 93 to 94 octane.

Good specs for the cam would be about 225 intake (at).050,
230 exhaust (at).050 on 108 degree centers.

This cam, and 9.6/1 CR should net you about 100 BHP with
a 1600 CC engine and appropriate carbs.

800 RPM Idle would be a little lumpy, but would run smooth
at 1000 RPM.

Power would be better than stock across the rev range from
about 2500 RPM up to a tad over 6000 RPM..

If you use a SV head, you wont need to do any port work
to flow reasonably, just grind out the casting flash.

Oh, and dont forget to get those ARP rod bolts that Ramon
offers.

Jarrid Gross