Birthday/Carbs/G's

From: Jay Laifman (Jay_Laifman(at)countrywide.com)
Date: Fri Oct 24 1997 - 10:27:33 CDT

It's Ole's birthday on Sunday! To the man who always remembers all of our
birthdays, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Carb/sticking piston problems: The hard part with sticking a finger into a
Stromberg and lifting the piston is that the air cleaners are in the way,
and the bolts that hold on the air cleaners also hold the plate that is
part of the throttle rod assembly. I once took apart an old air cleaner
and kept the two pipes inside which the bolts run through. That way I
could still mount the throttle plate assembly with the original bolts and
get my fingers in there. I guess you could also buy short bolts of the
same thread. But, I rarely had luck finding the exact fine thread found on
so many of our parts.

I seem to recall that there was this little spring loaded valve you would
press up on each of the carbs. Could this help in diagnosing the problem?
I seem to remember it had something to do with leaning the mixture and
testing the balance.

Skid Pads: While I am sure "AM" is correct about "true" skid pad numbers,
I believe the figures that were discussed before were in fact dependant
upon the power of the car. If I recall correctly, the figures that were
being used to extrapolate the skid pad numbers were figures that were taken
from older magazines. And, the process that these magazines used to get
the skid pad numbers was a timed event. So that the car only had so much
time to get up to speed and have its g forces measured. If you were
driving a car with little power, by the time it go up to a speed that would
show its g forces, the test was over. A car with more power would get
there faster and the g forces could be measured. The problem of course was
the test - not a true measurement of potential g forces.