RE: Stromberg Manifold help

From: Jarrid Gross (Yorba Linda, CA) (GROSS(at)unit.com)
Date: Fri Feb 27 1998 - 09:52:00 CST

Chris,

>I am putting my series 5's newly machined head back on. I am using the
>dual stromberg carbs. Between the intake manifold and the head there
is
>supposed to be a paperish gasket and a thin metalplate with raised
edges
>around the intake ports. I don't remember how it goes back together.
Is
>it head, then paper gasket, then metal plate (raised edge facing
manifold)
>then manifold? Also, should I put some gasket goo between this metal
plate
>and the manifold?

You know, I dont think it really matters, but this is what I do.

Put the paper one on the head "USE NO SEALER".

Put the metal one on after, but with the bent sections around the
ports facing toward the manifold (not the head).

This allows the manifold a raised metal seal that has some spring
to it.

It also allows you to remove the intake, and put it back on when
you are done, and it re-seals at least 3 or 4 times.

I take my intake off a lot, and have never had an intake leak,
but the exhausts to tend to burn our with time.

If you use sealer on the gasket or the metal shim, the first time
you remove the intake, you will tear the asbestos gasket, and
have to scrape the whole thing off, then start again.

Jarrid Gross