RE: Start-up

From: Jarrid Gross (JGross(at)econolite.com)
Date: Mon Apr 05 1999 - 11:03:28 CDT

Christopher,

>So, I'm thinking I'll try to start it up on Friday. Does anyone have
>any pointers for this? This will be the first time I've ever done
>this, so I don't know what to expect.

A really important break-in opperation is to let the cam and lifters break
in.
This takes about 30 to 45 minutes at about 2000 RPM.
Dont rev the engine beyond 2500 RPM till the 45 minutes has past.

Set the throttle on the carbs to idle there, and while its running, dial in
the timing (so its about -15 or so at 2000 RPM, "you can set it again at
idle later").
Keep a close eye on coolant temps and leakage.

Whatch the charging system, oil pressure and look for smoke/steam.
If the temp aproaches boiling, shut the engine down and allow to cool.
At the end of 45 minutes run time, re-adjust the valves while the engine is
still hot.

After that, dont run it again till you can drive it.

Jarrid Gross