Re: Contact Cement - Dashes and Dashtops

From: BlueGolfer(at)aol.com
Date: Tue Apr 06 1999 - 15:11:23 CDT

In a message dated 4/6/99 11:52:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Jay_Laifman(at)countrywide.com writes:

> The problem I have found with contact cement is, well, it sticks on
> "contact" - and really only "first" contact. So, if you do not have it set
> perfectly the first time, your "stuck." I guess with the dash it would
> not be too hard to figure out where you want it to go and trace the shape
> of the dash there so you have a really good idea where to lay it down.

The best bet is to make the dash veneer over size and then trim it to size
after the glue has cured. You can use a router with a laminate trimming bit
to do the hard work. No fuss, no muss.

> I was very unhappy with the way contact cement worked for the dash top. I
> still have small ends of wax paper pieces stuck under my dash top that
> ripped off when I put it on and tried to pull out the paper. I am doing it
> again for another Sunbeam. So, if anyone has any good ideas of how to grow
> 4 additional arms and hands so I can evenly press it all down at once,
> please let me know! Is there a super heavy duty wax paper
Cloning might grow you an extra arm or two. I would say don't even mess with
the wax paper. Make the veneer oversize and trim to fit.

Rob Kempinski
Melbourne Fl