Re: Contact Cement - Dashes and Dashtops

From: Christopher Albers (Christopher.Albers(at)bubbs.biola.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 07 1999 - 04:01:00 CDT

rgibbs(at)pacbell.net writes:
>I will have to side with Jay on this one. My experience with contact
>cement is that you get one (and ONLY one) chance to get it properly
>aligned. Once the two pieces touch, even in a small area, they do not
>separate. I have only used the solvent based contact cements (not the
>newer water based), and only on horizontal surfaces.

My only experience with contact cement was during the installation of
my upper and lower dash pads and with my interior. With the upper dash
pad, as I recall, I got it right the first time. With the lower roll
it was just a matter of adhering the vinyl sheet to the foam pad, no
brain surgery there.

My interior was a different story. I had to install and remove some
panels and the rear waist roll a number of times, all had contact
cement on them. I used 3M solvent based cement. I also used contact
cement on the installation of my seat covers. Had to take them apart
once after assembly. Also had to pull up some carpet that I had glued
down. All came up and reglued with no problems. I will admit that if
one of the surfaces is something like foam (like under the dash pad),
you're not going to be able to pull it up without ripping it. The two
surfaces must be tough in order to pull them apart without damage. So
I have to say that in some cases it is possible to pull apart some
surfaces glued with contact cement. It is very easy to reglue, as
another coat simply reactivates the old one, kind of like laquer
dissolving paint; and you can actually use fresh glue to help pull
pieces apart because of this.

Christopher