Re: Series II water leak

From: Ron Tebo (tebomr(at)cadvision.com)
Date: Mon Nov 01 1999 - 07:56:16 CST

david_kelly(at)ici.com wrote:

> The talk of water leaks from the thermostat area has reminded me that my
> series II has a water leak from either the thermostat housing or the water
> pump which I wish to repair this winter rather than rely on the 'Radweld'.
> I have the expansion tank above the thermostat and can't see how to remove
> this, do I have to remove the radiator to access the bolts? I presume I
> have to to remove the radiator to remove the thermostat and water pump?
>
> I will try the method suggested of smoothing the flanges with the glass
> paper.
>
> I have had trouble sourcing a water pump gasket (I am in the UK) and was
> propsing to use a sealant which doesn't need a gasket, has anyone tried
> these, they claim miracles on the box.
>
> Dave

Dave:

The two bolts on either side of the filler neck are long and go through the
whole expansion tank. remove these and the tank comes off and you can remove
the tank and access the thermostat.

Making gaskets of the type required for the water pump and the expansion tank
is quite easy, but the form-a-gasket stuff does work as long as the surfaces
are completely flat.
Otherwise, a gasket is a good idea. (Various types of gasket material are
available at any auto supply store).

I can't remember removing the rad for water pump replacement (I think I just
removed the fan, but I'm not sure).

Ron Tebo