Re: Camshaft Question

To: Rover V8 List <buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Camshaft Question
From: Glen Wilson <GlenWilson@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 10:52:44 -0500

Bradley Temperley wrote:

> You should also check the state of the timing chain.  If this has stretched
>your
> cam timing will be out.  You'll probably notice economy getting worse around
> town before any loss of upper end power.
> The original chain was single row with nylon toothed sprocket for quietness

When I bought my 1980 SD1 with its standard 3.5 Rover engine, it came
with a new set
of timing gears and chain.  The chain does not appear to be a roller
chain, but it
is all steel.  My guess is that it is the stock Rover part, probably
ordered from
Rovers West in AZ.  Do you think it's worth using this when I replace
the camshaft
or is it foolish not to spring for a true roller chain?  Would the
roller chain work
with the sprockets for the one I have or is it likely that they would
have to be
upgraded as well?

Glen Wilson

Suburban Philadelphia