Re: Camshaft Question

To: Glen Wilson <GlenWilson@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Camshaft Question
From: Bradley Temperley <braddles@bigpond.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 21:05:38 +1100
Depends how old the chainset is.  My friend recammed his donk using the existing
Rollermaster chainset (and high rev lifters) which had maybe 50000 km on it.
The
engine is producing a lot more power now and will rev to 7000.  This hasn't
caused any
problems after 12 months of nearly daily use.  He had installed the cam
slightly off
and was getting 10 mpg in the city!  Make sure that you install the cam exactly
right.

Old chain, new gears or vice versa won't be right and you probably won't be
able to
fit one to the other.  Keep a chainset together, that's what I learnt fixing
bicycles!

Certainly if you want to rev above 6000 more than once per annum, you want a
quality
chain and gear set which usually means double row roller.  You want a lot of
other
stuff in the motor as well, I should add!
Kent have just released a new range of chainsets at about £85 according to
Practical
Classics.  The Australian Rollmaster chainset is excellent value here @ $120.