Re: P76 Crankshaft and various followups

To: "sandm" <sandm@eisa.net.au>, dkern@napanet.net (David Kernberger)
Subject: Re: P76 Crankshaft and various followups
From: lark@world.std.com (Lar Kaufman)
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 07:02:25 -0500
If someone has technical data on the Rover/P76/BOP I'd like the data
on cylinder bore centers myself, I'm trying to decide whether I can
adapt existing cylinder heads for my weird project or whether I have
to design my own and have them billet machined.

As for the cost barrier for the stroker kit, was there a particular
reason you ruled out a machined Buick 350 crank?  I'd trust one if
it were nitrided/tuftrided before use; you could have one machined
to spec, treated, and shipped out from the US for a fraction of the
cost of the Prostroke kit... and it appears that only a smidgen of
clearancing of the block is needed.

Re my head deliberations... I'm scandalously contemplating turning
a P76 block into, effectively, a dual VW tdi diesel, using two
sets of VW diesel engine management systems, injectors, turbos etc.
and fitting the aforementioned buick 350 crank into the tall-deck
P76 block, machined to use VW tdi rods, with the block sleeved with
thick-walled ductile iron sleeves to use stock VW tdi pistons.
So I need flat cylinder heads adapted to fit the VW direct injection
diesel injectors, and it looks like modifying current heads to
work like VW's heads may be more work than starting from scratch.
But there's a slim chance I could adapt some other heads for the
purpose, maybe from the GM diesels or even something designed for
the Pontiac iron duke 4 cyl. or something.  Just need some raw
cylinder bore spacing data to weed out the possibilities...

 -lar
"Nay, even the sins of lying and perjury are nowhere punishable by laws; unless
in certain cases, in which the real turpitude of the thing and the offense
against God are not considered, but only the injury done unto men's neighbours
and to the commonwealth." - John Locke, A Letter Concerning Toleration (1689)