Buick 350 crankshaft

To: buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Buick 350 crankshaft
From: dkern@napanet.net (David Kernberger)
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 21:10:07 -0800
2/15/99

       In the milieu which has followed my request for P 76 crank
information, several mentions have been made of machining a Buick 350
crankshaft to fit into a Rover block.  Is this really possible???  It has a
3.85" stroke according to my parts book.  Also 3.00" main journals.  I
cannot imagine there is enough room in the block for that long of a stroke.
I also imagine reduciong the main journal size to 2.5, or even 2.55 would
totally compromise the crank's strength.

       I think the Buick 340 crank is the same 3.85" stroke, but with 2.5"
main journals.  Why not eliminate the machine work?  Is there a difference
in the steel alloy, or something?

       I certainly have encountered a lot of new information in the 3 weeks
I have been subscribed to this list.  Thanks to everyone for it all.

Dave