Buick - BMW?

To: buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Buick - BMW?
From: Gregory72@aol.com
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 09:24:19 EST
Y'know, I've seen a rumor, in more than a few places, that the Buick 215 was
some offshoot of the alloy V8 BMW produced for it's 507 model in the fifties.
Knowing what I know about GM, I've always taken issue with that claim.  They
used to have that "Not invented here" attitude.  As far as I know, the 215 was
a clean sheet GM design with some Mercury Marine (I think) input thrown in.
I've never seen the V8 used in the 507.  Anybody hear that rumor as well?

Greg