Re: Motor oil

To: Eirik Aarebrot <eirik@ark.museum.no>
Subject: Re: Motor oil
From: "Lorne M. Goldman" <lmg@gomog.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 04:57:50 -0500
Snip

 Hi folks!

> I wonder what the best engine oil for my Rover 3,5 litre V8-engine from
> 1978 will be?
> The Buick/Olds 215 dates back from 1961 when synthetic engine oil (like for
> example "Mobil 1" 5W-50) did not exist (at least not to my knowledge). It
> was designet to run (depending on outside temperature and climate) on
> "ordinary" mineral oil like 20W-50 , 15W-40 or 10W-30.

Hi Eirik,

I looked into the problem of appropriate motor oils a few years back. I
occasionally race my 1984 Vitesse (clothed in a Morgan Plus 8) and was
about to switch to synthetics.

However, after some reading and speaking with J E Engineeering (Rover V8
gurus) and Libra Motive (Plus 8 racers) I quickly canned the idea.

There have been two major alterations to the engine lubrication system
since its Rover debut...first with the SD1 and again in 1995. I have not
bothered to get the details on the post 1995 models saving that their
systems pump more oil in less time than previous systems.

Synthetic oils are not only NOT recommended for Rovers, they can cause
serious damage to the oil pump gears at higher revs and cannot be pumped
in the same way as the thicker "natural" oils. Stick with a high quality
10W40.

Lorne