RE: Motor oil

To: "'Jones, Daniel C'" <Daniel.Jones@MW.Boeing.com>,
Subject: RE: Motor oil
From: "James R Bown" <Bowan@uswest.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 13:08:21 -0700
Excellent explanation Dan.  Pressure and volume are related and in just the
way you have described.  I have heard much wrong information and thinking
about this over the years.  You are also right about the hot viscosity being
the one that matters (except when the engine is cold of course).  And I
agree that a synthetic of the proper viscosity should be fine.  This,
however, does not address the issue of cost.  Is the synthetic worth the
money?

A few years ago Consumer Reports magazine did a comparison test on different
brands of motor oils.  They had a bunch of identically rebuild engines and
then ran them for something like 60,000 miles each in New York City taxi
cabs.  The engines were then dissembled and inspected.  I don't recall that
there was much difference between the various brands of oil.  I don't recall
if synthetic oils were involved in the test.  It is difficult to get past
peoples personal opinions about synthetic oil.  Has anyone seen a reputable
comparison test?