Re: 4.2 engine-now4.6

Subject: Re: 4.2 engine-now4.6
From: Franc Buxton <fab@dcs.warwick.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 10:06:03 +0100
Bill Dudley wrote:

> Are you saying that you can use a distributor from and older engine?
> What other parts would be necessary?  I assume you would have to make
> some changes in order to drive the distributor.  Would you have to use
> an older oil pump and sump?

        Ah, yes - sometimes I forget how easily I can get parts (or how
much junk I have lying around!), and I neglected to note that the cam
and timing chain and sprockets are different on a distributorless
engine, so depending on how much of the 4.6 you are getting it may be
a bit complex. Covers with distributors all take the same unit - but
again I'm talking about physical compatibility here, the ignition curve
may well be different. It's not possible to use an old-type oil pump with
an interim cover as the casting isn't there - but the new type pump is
much better anyway. Regarding heads - the chambers may be different
capacities and the valves different sizes, but they'll all bolt on.
Basically, I believe that if you have an old 3.5 and a new 4.6, enough
bits can interchange to get it working in your application. (Don't
know about the Buick/Olds 215, but it's probably true there, too).

        Lorne's comments on bolt holes are also something I forgot -
the mounting holes for an old-style pickup may well not be there in a
4.6, although they could easily be made. I don't believe there exists
a factory 4.6 with a distributor, so either use the old type front cover,
cam and timing gear, or the interim type (recommended).

        Apologies if I made it all sound too simple, as I said it's too
easy from here to forget others are not so lucky! I can probably answer
(and will, gladly) any specific compatibility questions if you have them,
but it's altogether too complicated to try to give the whole picture
(with which I believe I'm reasonably familiar) without forgetting some
of the details!

        Best regards,
                Franc.
--