Temp sender, head retorque, dist (2000)

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Temp sender, head retorque, dist (2000)
From: Kyle Hagemann <kyle@sonic.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 08:58:44 -0800
Hi all;
        Now that my sah-weet running '66 1600 has been sold (down-tha-road to
LA,
you'll probably see her on the list soon:-) I've started to think about my
neglected '69 2L.

I bought it in early December, and just haven't had time to monkey with it
yet.  A couple-three things:

The temp sender isn't functioning right; I understand that this is
epidemic.  What's the fix?  I can't see an easy way to ground the sender
body....

I fear that the head gasket may be leaking; I'mma check the compression and
see what happens.  Can the head gasket be retorqued?  Is Stop Leak a good
idea, or given the cantankerous nature of the U20, should I just put a new
head gasket in?  (oh yeah, what are the valve clearances supposed to be?)
(oh, and are there thicker head gaskets available to lower the CR?  I hate
the thought of spending $1.75/gal for gas)

In further persuit of high-RPM fun, I'm going to take the distributor out
and inspect it; Here's the problem - It's VERY strong from idle, then it
pretty much runs out of steam at 4,500 or 5,000 RPM; The carbs are set up
well, AFAIK, but that's as far as I've taken it.  The idle is kinda strange
- it will fall back to 1,300 or so really quick when the pedal is released,
and then SLOWLY settle back to a lumpy 900 or so.  I'm suspicious that the
mechanical advance isn't performing properly; maybe a bit of crud gumming
up the works, or a broken spring, or something.  Anyway, enough babbling -
my questions are:

  1) do SU U20's crap out at 5,000 RPM as a matter of course
    - if so, are there better needles available (reminds me of my
      L28/SU 240Z before a needle change, FWIW)

  2) should the distributor be worked over, change the advance curve, etc.?
    - if so, is it something a competent shade-tree can do?
    - if not, who does it, how long, and how much $$?

  3) any pointers on how the dist is supposed to "feel" when out of the car?

TIA,

     ____  Kyle Hagemann, Born-Again Grease Monkey From Beyond
 _.;(____\____    72 240Z, L28, 5spd, poly, etc. - The Z-Beast
|  _ |   |  _'@`, 69 2000, U20, goes like stink - no name yet!