Re: The bump stops?

To: Datsun Roadster <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: The bump stops?
From: Gordon Glasgow <glasgow@serv.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 20:45:31 -0700
two problems with this approach. First, putting in the comp rear springs and
NOT cutting the bump stops will definitely change the effect of the springs,
so your test won't be valid (voice of experience speaking). Second, it is very
difficult to cut the rear bump stops while they are still mounted on the car.
Since the u-bolts that hold them in are the same u-bolts that hold the axle in
place, it is much easier to do it all at once.

BTW, here are Bob Sharp's patterns for cutting the bump stops:
http://www.gordon-glasgow.org/Images/bumpstops.jpg

Since he didn't reduce the height of the rear bump stops, I'm assuming he is
recommending that you stay with the stock rear springs. The cut he shows will
give you quite a bit of oversteer. Mine are cut approximately in half and it
still bottoms on occasion.

--
Gordon Glasgow
Renton, WA