Re[2]: roadster security

To: Ray Cole <raycole@mindspring.com>, Alan Bent <ajb@squirrel.com.au>
Subject: Re[2]: roadster security
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 09:38:24 -0700
I did some restoration work on my '66 radio console yesterday, and found
that a marine cutoff switch fits perfectly in the windshield-washer-pump
hole just above the radio. I removed the front grey panel, and drilled two
beveled holes in the underlying frame for the cutoff switch.

Without the big red key, the cutoff switch looks just like another knob
next to the cigarette lighter. Although I first intended to run a battery
cable there, I didn't like the thought of cutting power to the clock. So I
ran heavy guage wire to the ignition switch, and taped everything up to
hide my alteration.

On my '70, I'm in the habit of removing my rotor. The '66 has electronics so I
remove the coil wire. This got me in trouble once when I misplaced it! Much
easier to carry a cutoff switch key. I know it won't stop determined thieves,
but it will stop teen thrill-seekers looking for an easy target for a joyride. A
determined thief will simply tow the car! You can't stop them all, but you can
slow down most of them. BTW, you can get the marine cutoff switches for $7 to
$15.

Fred - So.SF
BADROC