Re: Air Filters, etc....

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Air Filters, etc....
From: bill/liz wessel <bwessel@itis.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 23:51:25 -0500
>Get one from TWM induction. They'll custom build to your specs.
>
>Rob Robinson
>CSP 67 2000

OK Rob, guess everyone but me was going to let you get away without adding
some detail. I've been looking into the TWM air horns and ITG filters. For
the 510 Mikunis, the setup is listed as 21-JC-50 backplate and JC 50/40
element. My assumption is that you must have taken the JC-50 blank plate
and cut it to fit the spacing of the mikunis on the 2000 manifold (much
different from the 510?).

I e-mailed TWM for a set on my SU'ed GP 1600 and they said they would
prefer to work through a reseller such as Dean at Fairlady. So I called
Dean (after seeing them pictured on his website) and he said that he'd had
them make *one* set for a customer of his and they didn't fit properly.
This was after he'd sent them a manifold and carb bodies. I was not
impressed to hear this. He also said that the air horns were $52 apiece
(TMW #2700-4050 2" high, and #2700-4075 for 3" high) and the filter setup
was $145. Thus, it was all for around $250, and I might have to do some
cutting and filing.

I can't see spending that much. Pipercross socks (from Truechoice, $25 for
the pair!) over the horns  will do me just fine.

PS. I'm talking roadrace only guys....look inside your stock airbox, see
the curved horns leading to the su's? You've got to hand it to Datsun. For
the street, stick with the stock airfilter setup. And keep a spare *new*
paper filter for track events (dealer or roadster parts vendor item).

Bill Wessel
Madison, WI
'68 1600, '69 2000,
and GP race roadsters