caliper rebuild

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: caliper rebuild
From: "Sochoux, Stephan" <SSochoux@dbc.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 11:12:06 -0700
Hello all,

I sent this out last night but it looks like it didn't make it to the
list...

My brakes are pretty bad (even after a complete flush) so i decided to
inspect them more closely. I started with the right front brake. I pulled
out the outer pad (half worn) and proceeded to remove the outer caliper. I
blew some compressed air in the bleeder hole and "pop" came out the piston.

Questions:
- The cylinder wall has a rust ring 2/3 up from the bottom. The wall doens't
appear to be pitted. When I run my finger, i can feel a ridge but looks like
it can be rubbed off. What should i use to clean it up ? The tip of the
guide (that needle thing inside the cylinder) is tappered and uneven. Does
it matter ?
- Can i reuse the existing seals ? or should i get new ones ? The existing
ones look good.
- I suspect all calipers are in the same state. Is rebuilding them a gamble
? Should I just open my wallet and buy new ones ?

Sorry for all the questions but I'd appreciate your advice. I'd like to do
the best thing.

Thanks-

Stephan
'69 2000 San Francisco

^^^^^
Stephan Sochoux  --  Data Broadcasting Corporation
Voice:  510-723-7344
Pager:  888-610-7221  Alpha Pager: 8886107221@scout.pagemart.net