Re: caliper rebuild

To: SSochoux@dbc.com
Subject: Re: caliper rebuild
From: BERKEN@aol.com
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 09:32:31 EDT
In a message dated 04/27/1999 12:23:26 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
SSochoux@dbc.com writes:

<< Hello all,

 I sent this out last night but it looks like it didn't make it to the
 list...

 My brakes are pretty bad (even after a complete flush) so i decided to
 inspect them more closely. I started with the right front brake. I pulled
 out the outer pad (half worn) and proceeded to remove the outer caliper. I
 blew some compressed air in the bleeder hole and "pop" came out the piston.

 Questions:
 - The cylinder wall has a rust ring 2/3 up from the bottom. The wall doens't
 appear to be pitted. When I run my finger, i can feel a ridge but looks like
 it can be rubbed off. What should i use to clean it up ? The tip of the
 guide (that needle thing inside the cylinder) is tappered and uneven. Does
 it matter ?
 - Can i reuse the existing seals ? or should i get new ones ? The existing
 ones look good.
 - I suspect all calipers are in the same state. Is rebuilding them a gamble
 ? Should I just open my wallet and buy new ones ?

 Sorry for all the questions but I'd appreciate your advice. I'd like to do
 the best thing.

 Thanks-

 Stephan
 '69 2000 San Francisco

 ^^^^^
 Stephan Sochoux  --  Data Broadcasting Corporation
 Voice:  510-723-7344
 Pager:  888-610-7221  Alpha Pager: 8886107221@scout.pagemart.net

Stephan,

The kits for the calipers are not expensive and calipers ARE. I would start
with rebuilding them first and if they leak, then you'll have to replace
them. I used fine sandpaper to polish out the inside (400 grit, I think) then
reassembled everything using brake fluid and they work fine now.

Also check your rear cylinders. These can also be rebuilt and parts are
cheap.  If I remember right, cylinders aren't too expensive either. As for
the master cylinder I would recommend replacing it if it's bad. If you have
fluid leaking into the interior (pull the boot off under the dash and see)
then the seals are bad. The cylinder is aluminum and most have found trying
to rebuild it is a waste of time. New cylinders are about $160
When you put it all back together, don't forget to bleed the MC first, then
LR, RR, RF, LF and use DOT4 brake fluid, like Castrol GT/LMA.  Also check the
flex lines. There are one to each front wheel and one from the body to the
rear axle. If they are very old you should replace them, for safety as well
as a firmer pedal. About $18 each.,

Good luck--when you get the brakes right, they are very GOOD.

Joseph  Berkenbile
70 1600
Albuquerque