Re: sucked valve??

To: noji@snowman.med.umn.edu, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: sucked valve??
From: BERKEN@aol.com
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 09:03:30 EDT
In a message dated 04/01/2000 11:28:02 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
noji@snowman.med.umn.edu writes:

<< Help,

 I was out driving today and had something go very wrong.  The last time I
 drove the car it felt like the car was missing.  I checked the spark and
 all seemed fine.  I put some new gas in the car and that seemed to help
 some.  While driving later there was a big backfire and then a big loss of
 power.  Took off the valve cover and noticed that one of the rockers were
 off. The valve is stuck down at this point.  Does stuck equal bent?

 I'll be taking off the head this week to see what is up down under.

 Dana >>

Dana,

I had the same thing happen twice (should have learned the first time!).  In
mine, a valve seat had come loose, so it wedged between the valve and the
head, keeping the valve open. The reason they come loose is that the head is
aluminum and the seat is bronze; they eventually loosen up.  There was
evidence of a make shift repair in that on some of the other seats, someone
had hit the head with a punch to tighten the seats in the head and it had
worked for some time.  The first time it happened to me I had a machine shop
replace just the one that had come loose, then a different one came loose a
few months later, so I had all the valves, seats, guides and seals replaced,
which cost about $400 but sure fixed the problem. and the car ran a lot
better.  Mileage went up by 2 mpg also.  The new seats were an iron material
and I can't remember the name of it now, but is much harder and isn't
affected by unleaded the way the bronze is.  Also, the guides were of a
newer, better material that lasts longer as well.  I think I got them all
from Dean, so you can call him about it and find out what they are called.

Joseph Berkenbile
70 1600
Warren Me