Re: Simple fix

To: Roman Rist <ristguitars@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: Simple fix
From: R Haug <haugchiro@moscow.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 05:50:34 -0700

Roman Rist wrote:

> Hi List,
>  Yesterday I decided to finally tackle my gas gauge adjustment. Every
> time I fill up I decide to adjust the float then drive and use up gas
> and never get around to it. I say to self "next tank" Well, yesterday I
> did it! Took a little playing around to get it just right. I noticed
> that when you screw the thing down tight the reading goes more full.
> but finally after a half hr it was perfect!
> Here's what happened next. I try to start my car and enjoy my new tank
> of gas and the car WONT start! Half hr earlier and all the time
> previous the car starts fine. I started thinking about what I'd read on
> the list about vacum stuff and heat etc. came out later still no
> start,later still no start. Drove me nuts! Decided to check to see if
> the plugs were fouled, no wrench. finally I (out of desparation) had
> the brilliant idea to check the points. got a little 320grit paper
> cleaned them then sprayed everything with contact cleaner and
> VROOOOM!!! Off I was.

Roman,
While you had the key on trying to adjust the fuel sender you had current
going through the points and they burnt.  This is one thing bad about a
points ignition system if you leave the key on without running the engine.
If you are doing adjustments in the future, disconect the wires to the
distributor and this will prevent the points from burning again.
Bob