Re: problem changing front shocks

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net, fredkatz@2xtreme.net,
Subject: Re: problem changing front shocks
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 00 09:34:53 CDT
Matt,

First unbolt the shock from the triangle mount.
Hold the triangle mount back up to the bottom of
the a-arm. Can you install it without the shock
in place?

Sometime I'll chase the threads to make sure they
are clean, and use new bolts. 1/4" x 24 tpi (fine
thread) is what I seem to recall being in there.
Not uncommon to find a 6mm bolt crammed into the
threads. ;-(

So far, so good?

I'll put the tire back on, and with my HEAVY DUTY
5000# rated car ramp, drive the front end back up on the
ramps. This will keep the lower a-arm in a more
horizontal position. Makes it easier to slide the
shocks back in, and have the plate line up correctly.

If you are installing gas shocks, they will always
want to extend themselves. I usually will collapse
the shock while it is out of the car, and use safety
wire to keep it from extending. Don't forget the
bushing on the top of the stud! Then reinsert the
shock, bolt up those three bolts... carefully aim
the top stud at the upper mount, and cut the safety
wire... top stud should just go through the upper
mount as it is extends.

Whew, it is quicker to do than explain!

Cheers,

Tom Walter

TECH WARNING: When the car is on a ramp, I still
like slipping jackstands under the frame to help
support the car. The ramp keeps the tire lifted, but
don't trust your life with it as you will be under
and around the car!