Re[2]: problem changing front shocks

To: fredkatz@2xtreme.net, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net, CalSpeed@aol.com
Subject: Re[2]: problem changing front shocks
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 10:45:39 -0700
Calspeed, you're embarassing me!

I think much of the fear that newbies feel is that they can't picture what
something looks like. Once they see the parts and the teardown process much
of that fear and anxiety goes away.

I felt that way about tearing down the suspension for the first time.
Banging on the tie rod for hours with a hammer without results is
frustrating. Then someone on the Datsun list told me about pickle forks and
ball joint separators. I bought both of these tools for under $10 each, and
the tie rods easily popped apart in a minute or two.

With a picture guide, no need to guess how the hell you're going to tear
something down. The Datsun manuals don't go into detail (as everyone
knows!) I'm posting pics because I was a newbie not too long ago and I've
made my share of mistakes (and I still make some - please don't ask!) And
I'm still a newbie in a few areas that I intend to get to (like body/paint
and rear end). We help each other out, and I get a lot of help from the
longtime experts like Tom Walter, Gordon Glasgow, Ron Hamilton, etc. as
well as from our vendors (they are not just sources of parts!).

Also, as I get older I forget how the heck I did something and how I'm going to
put it back together until I see the pics! (Wish I was twenty-something
again...)

Fred - So.SF