Re: Junk Yard Ideas

To: Robert.Long@CSDInc.com,
Subject: Re: Junk Yard Ideas
From: R Haug <haugchiro@moscow.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 13:34:35 -0700
Robert.Long@CSDInc.com wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I've heard several people talk about scouring the Junk Yards for Roadster
> parts, and thought I'd do the same here in Albuquerque.
>
> I've never really dealt with Junk Yards before, what's the best approach?
> Should I call around asking if they have Roadster stuff, or should I just
> show up and ask?  Will they be familier with Roadster stuff, or should I
> walk thru the yard?  Do you pull the parts you're interested in?  Do I make
> an offer?
>
> Any advice would be helpful (I promise not to pull any parts from cars
> parked across the street).
>
> Robert - 67.5 1600 - Albuquerque

Robert,

Those people in the wrecking yard may not have a clue as to what you are
looking for with the roadster.  You will have to take your chances on finding
something.  My brother called me last week and said he thought he saw a
roadster on the back of a flatbed wrecker so I called the place the next day.
Person on the phone didn't know what I was asking about.  They thought it was a
61. I have not been down there to look at it yet but I will want to find out
about it.  Someone may need part of it.  Usually the yard will have prices for
standard items.  Some will let you make an offer but don't bet on it.  I have
called before to ask a price and get there to have a lower price,
occasionally.  They are all different.  Just go or call and find out.  You may
even get to ride in the classy yard truck that has no fenders or doors, no
muffler, no interior, no windows, no etc...  Don't wear good clothes there.
You will get a little dirty out in thier yard, if they let you go out.  Some
have the part there for you and others let you take off the parts yourself.
Have fun.  :-)
Bob
67.5
PS
I found out that my cam has a bad lobe so I am pulling the engine down to check
the condition of the other components.  I will need a new cam and rockers.  I
will replace the rings and bearings while I am at it.  A refresh would not hurt
a thing.  The head has been ported and I will see how everything else is a
little later.